What is Keyword Targeting?
Keyword targeting is the practice of identifying and utilising specific keywords or phrases to display relevant Amazon product advertisements. A well-thought-out keyword targeting strategy can reach potential buyers who are searching for products like yours. As we know, in the world of Amazon Advertising, Sponsored Products, Sponsored Brands, and Sponsored Displays play a crucial role. The key to their success? Keyword targeting.
Why is Keyword Targeting important?
With keyword targeting, you can precisely align your Amazon ads with users who are searching for your products. This leads to increased visibility, more clicks, and ideally, more sales. Here are a few aspects to consider when choosing your keywords:
Relevance: Choose keywords closely linked to your product.
Search Volume: Use keywords with a high search volume to reach a larger audience.
Competition: Consider the competitive situation when choosing your keywords.
Different types of Keywords
On Amazon, three types of keywords are distinguished: Shorttail, Midtail, and Longtail keywords.
- Shorttail keywords consist of just one word and typically have a high search volume.
- Midtail keywords consist of about 2 to 3 words and often have a high to medium search volume.
- Longtail keywords consist of 4 or more words and are very specific. They are often used for niche products and have a lower search volume.
How do you optimise your Keyword Targeting?
There are several ways you can optimise your keyword targeting. The optimisation of your keyword targeting is an ongoing process that requires regular checks and adjustments. Here are some tips on how to optimise your keyword targeting:
- Keyword Research: Find a guide to good keyword research in this blog post.
- Automatic and Manual Amazon Campaigns: You can create automatic or manual campaigns. In automatic campaigns, the Amazon algorithm searches for suitable keywords. In manual campaigns, you have to define the keywords yourself and categorise them into different keyword match types: “Exact”, “Phrase”, or “Broad”.
- Amazon Content: Your Amazon content should include all important keywords so that the product is displayed in a relevant search query. This includes title, bullet points, backend keywords, and a product description. The A+ Content or A+ Premium Content can also be helpful.
- Testing and Adjusting: Try different keyword combinations and analyse the results. Adjust your strategy accordingly.
- Competitor Monitoring: Look at which keywords your competitors are using and draw conclusions for your own strategy.
The Customer Journey and Keyword Targeting
An essential aspect of Amazon keyword targeting is the resulting customer journey. With the right keyword targeting and a compelling product image, you increase the likelihood that the customer will choose your product. Your goal should be to offer the customer the best possible customer journey through the right keyword targeting and show them the product that best meets their expectations.
Keyword targeting is a crucial aspect of being successful on Amazon. It requires care and continuous adjustment, but the results can be worth it. Together with other aspects such as an optimised product page and effective advertising campaigns, it’s a powerful tool.